EE445S Real-Time Digital Signal Processing Lab - Matlab Help
Some of the problems will require to use a computer tool, such as
Matlab, to solve it.
For UT Austin students, the most convenient option for accessing Matlab is to
Here are other options:
- Install the full version of Matlab on your laptop through the
university site license
- Follow the directions for
- Request a MathWorks account in the downloading step through UT ServiceNow,
- Follow the instructions on account creation directly from the email, and
- Choose at a minimum the DSP System Toolbox, Image Processing Toolbox,
and Signal Processing Toolbox during installation.
The Mathscript functionality in LabVIEW implements core functions
in Matlab and a few signal processing functions.
These functions will be almost all you'll need for the lecture and lab
components for this course.
For GNU Octave, please see the footnote on page viii of the JSK book.
- Buy the Matlab student edition for your local computer ($99)
- Run Matlab on a remote computer using an
- Run the Mathscript environment in the LabVIEW Real-Time Module
- Run GNU Octave
- Convert Matlab code to run in Python using numpy and scipy extensions
Helpful Slides and Tutorials
Please see locally developed materials to help you use Matlab in EE 445S:
Here are excellent Matlab tutorials:
The following Matlab book might be a useful reference:
Please add the Matlab functions and scripts that come with the
Software Receiver Design textbook on your Matlab search path.
The files are available from
- Duane C. Hanselman and Bruce Littlefield,
ISBN 9780136013303, Prentice Hall, 2011.
SRD - MatlabFiles directory
in the CD ROM.
A free utility to extract the contents of the CD ROM zip file is
available at 7-zip.org.
To add a directory of Matlab functions to the Matlab search path,
The directory would be enclosed in single quotes, e.g.
addpath('C:\Documents and Settings\SANL\My Documents\SRD-MatlabFiles');
help path for more information.
The following additional Matlab commands may be useful:
Another option for running Matlab remotely is to install
cd: change directories (without an argument,
it prints the working directory)
dir: lists the contents of the current working
pwd: prints working directory
When running PuTTY within X windows, it is helpful to enable forwarding
of X windows settings.
terminal emulator for remote login, and
X windows emulator.
available for remote login
Once logged into a remote workstation, here are the commands to run Matlab:
module load matlab
Last updated @(#)matlab.html 1.36.
Send comments to