EE 445S Real-Time Digital Signal Processing Laboratory - Lecture 1
Lecture by Prof. Brian L. Evans
- "Sound Shield",
Senior Design Project, Electrical and Computer Engineering,
The University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2016.
- Dynamic noise-masking software solution capable of generating custom
sound masks in real time to cover up distracting noise.
- Software runs in the background on any device using a Linux/Unix-based
operating system, such as RaspberryPi or Mac.
- The earlier edition of the textbook Software Receiver Design
was called Telecommunication Breakdown, which was chosen for
three reasons by the authors.
One reason was the following song....
- "Communication Breakdown",
Led Zeppelin, Royal Albert Hall, 1970.
- Led Zeppelin, which disbanded in 1980, won the 2014 Grammy Award for
"Best Rock Album".
- "AM Radio",
by Everclear, 2000.
- "Portions of today's programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings"
- "The VCR and the DVD. There was none of that ... Back in 1970"
- "I started going to concerts and I saw the Led Zeppelin"
- "I dreamed that Jimmy Page would come to Santa Monica and teach me to play"
- UT Austin Job Expos
- Engineering Expo,
Sep. 11, 2018, 11am-5pm, and Sep. 12, 2018, 10am-4pm, Erwin Center, open to all UT Austin students and alumni
- Technology & Science Career Fair,
Sep. 20, 2018, 1pm-5pm, Erwin Center, open to all UT Austin students and alumni
- Bioscience and Biotechnology Career Fair (Fall Only)
Oct. 30, 2018, 1pm-5pm, Texas Union Ballroom (UNB 3.202), open to all UT Austin students and alumni
- 1800+ real-time DSP lab course alumni as contacts for jobs
- "LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner on the importance of interpersonal skills",
CBS News, June 13, 2018.
- Adam Holley (IBM Austin and ex-UT Austin BSCS student 1991-96) recommended that students
- Contribute code to an open source project
- Gain experience receiving feedback through open source code reviews
- Show tangible open source contributions for interviews
- "50 Best Jobs in America",
GlassDoor.com, based on salary reports and satisfaction surveys
- Data Scientist (#1), Data Engineer (#33) and Data Analyst (#38)
- Electrical Engineer (#6) and Hardware Engineer (#22)
- Mobile Developer (#8)
- Software Engineer (#21)
- User Interface Developer (#45)
- "Employee Referrals Remain Top Source for Hires",
By Roy Maurer, Society for Human Resource Management Jun 23, 2017.
Reported on the 2016 SilkRoad Sources of Hire annual report
that is based on 4 million applications, 655,000 interviews and 329,000 hires,
aggregated from more than 1,000 participating companies:
Of the external hires,
- 52% internal hires
- 48% external hires
- 47% from Austin-based Indeed.com
- 25% from all other online sources (careers sites, job search engines, job boards, social media sites)
- 14% from employee referrals
- 14% from other sources (college recruiting, job fairs, technical recruiters)
- The Interview: Part One,
Marie Donlon, IEEE Job Site, May 30, 2017.
Last updated 08/21/18.
Send comments to