EE 445S Real-Time Digital Signal Processing Laboratory - Lecture 1
Lecture by Prof. Brian L. Evans
- "Sound Shield",
Senior Design Project, Electrical and Computer Engineering,
The University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2016.
- Dynamic noise-masking software solution capable of generating custom
sound masks in real time to cover up distracting noise.
- Software runs in the background on any device using a Linux/Unix-based
operating system, such as RaspberryPi or Mac.
- The earlier edition of the textbook Software Receiver Design
was called Telecommunication Breakdown, which was chosen for
three reasons by the authors.
One reason was the following song....
- "Communication Breakdown",
Led Zeppelin, Royal Albert Hall, 1970.
- Led Zeppelin, which disbanded in 1980, won the 2014 Grammy Award for
"Best Rock Album".
- "AM Radio",
by Everclear, 2000.
- "Portions of today's programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings"
- "The VCR and the DVD. There was none of that ... Back in 1970"
- "I started going to concerts and I saw the Led Zeppelin"
- "I dreamed that Jimmy Page would come to Santa Monica and teach me to play"
- UT Austin Job Expos
- Engineering Expo,
Sep. 11-12, 2018, 10am-4pm, Erwin Center, open to all UT Austin students and alumni
- Technology & Science Career Fair,
Sep. 20, 2018, 1pm-5pm, Erwin Center, open to all UT Austin students and alumni
- Bioscience and Biotechnology Career Fair (Fall Only)
TBA (last year, it was held on Oct. 18, 2017)
- 1700+ real-time DSP lab course alumni as contacts for jobs
- The Interview: Part One,
Marie Donlon, IEEE Job Site, May 30, 2017.
- Adam Holley (IBM Austin and ex-UT Austin BSCS student 1991-96) recommended that students
- Contribute code to an open source project
- Gain experience receiving feedback through open source code reviews
- Show tangible open source contributions for interviews
- "50 Best Jobs in America",
GlassDoor.com, based on salary reports and satisfaction surveys
- Data Scientist (#1), Data Engineer (#33) and Data Analyst (#38)
- Electrical Engineer (#6)
- Mobile Developer (#8)
- User Experience Engineer (#9) and User Interface Developer (#45)
- Software Engineer (#21)
- "New Source of Hire Results from 2013".
Top six sources of hiring at 50 large companies (1500+ employees):
- 42% filled by current employees
- 19% refered by employees
- 19% career site
- 15% from job boards (primarily Austin-based Indeed.com)
- 12% direct source (e.g. "cold" calls)
- 8% from college recruiting
Last updated 05/22/18.
Send comments to