EE 445S Real-Time Digital Signal Processing Laboratory - Lecture 1
Lecture by Prof. Brian L. Evans
- "Sound Shield",
Senior Design Project, Electrical and Computer Engineering,
The University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2016.
- Dynamic noise-masking software solution capable of generating custom
sound masks in real time to cover up distracting noise.
- Software runs in the background on any device using a Linux/Unix-based
operating system, such as RaspberryPi or Mac.
- The earlier edition of the textbook Software Receiver Design
was called Telecommunication Breakdown, which was chosen for
three reasons by the authors.
One reason was the following song....
- "Communication Breakdown",
Led Zeppelin, Royal Albert Hall, 1970.
- Led Zeppelin, which disbanded in 1980, won the 2014 Grammy Award for
"Best Rock Album".
- "AM Radio",
by Everclear, 2000.
- "Portions of today's programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings"
- "The VCR and the DVD. There was none of that ... Back in 1970"
- "I started going to concerts and I saw the Led Zeppelin"
- "I dreamed that Jimmy Page would come to Santa Monica and teach me to play"
- UT Austin Job Expos
- Engineering Expo,
Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018, 10am-4pm, Erwin Center
- Technology & Science Career Fair,
Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018, 1pm-5pm (?), Erwin Center
- Bioscience and Biotechnology Career Fair (Fall Only)
- 1700+ real-time DSP lab course alumni as contacts for jobs
- The Interview: Part One,
Marie Donlon, IEEE Job Site, May 30, 2017.
- Adam Holley (IBM Austin and ex-UT Austin BSCS student 1991-96) recommended that students
- Contribute code to an open source project
- Gain experience receiving feedback through open source code reviews
- Show tangible open source contributions for interviews
- "50 Best Jobs in America",
GlassDoor.com, based on salary reports and satisfaction surveys from Jan. 2, 2016, to Jan. 1, 2017.
- Data Scientist (#1) and Data Engineer (#3)
- User Experience Engineer (#9) and User Interface Designer (#43)
- Electrical Engineer (#14), Controls Engineer (#23) and Hardware Engineer (#30)
- Software Engineer (#16) and Mobile Developer (#26)
- "100 Best Companies to Work For" in 2017,
- Number one for the seventh straight year?
- Related to real-time DSP: Nvidia #39, VMware #42, Cisco #67, Cadence #81, AT&T #93.
- 2014 entries related to real-time DSP:
Qualcomm #32, National Instruments #66, Intel #84 and Microsoft #86.
- "New Source of Hire Results from 2013".
Top six sources of hiring at 50 large companies (1500+ employees):
- 42% filled by current employees
- 19% refered by employees
- 19% career site
- 15% from job boards (primarily Austin-based Indeed.com)
- 12% direct source (e.g. "cold" calls)
- 8% from college recruiting
Last updated %G%.
Send comments to