It is to your benefit to include a resume in a universal format (ASCII,
PDF, or HTML) whenever you contact a professor.
Many professors will not open Word attachments.
It is also to your benefit to include a copy of your resume in your
application for graduate study.
Resumes from undergraduate students or recent BS graduates should be no
longer than one page when formatted using an 11-pt font.
For people with archived publications and/or significant full-time work
experience, resumes should be limited to two pages when using an 11-pt font.
The resume should include the following information:
- Name, mailing address, phone, and e-mail address
- Educational information:
For each degree received or currently enrolled in,
please give the degree, institution name, institution city,
institute state/province, and date (or expected date) of graduation.
Include the title and summary of your
senior design project or thesis if you did one.
Also, list your GPA and the maximum possible GPA.
If your undergraduate degree is from a university outside of the US,
then annotate the GPA listing by the type of system you're in:
GPA: 12.2/20 (French)
GPA: 8.5/10 (India)
If your GPA system is not on a 4.0 scale, then do not try to
convert it to a 4.0 system.
Do not include your class rank.
Do not include any information about schooling completed prior to
- Test scores: please include GRE scores.
- Work experience: include the company's name and a 1-2 sentence
description of your duties.
- Publications: give full citation information, including all authors,
volume numbers, and page numbers
- Technical skills, for example:
- Test and measurement: Signal generators, oscilloscopes, LabVIEW
- Assembly languages: TI TMS320C5000 DSP, TI TMS320C6000 VLIW DSP
- High-level languages: C, C++, Java
- Scripting languages: Perl, Tcl/Tk
- Software development: TI Code Composer Studio, Eclipse
- Algorithm development: LabVIEW, MATLAB
- Electronic design automation: Spice
- Network performance evaluation: Chariot, Vega H.264 Analyzer, Iperf
Here are few example resumes:
- Resume for Ricardo Garcia (senior BSEE student) in
- Resume for Zukang Shen (recent PhDEE alumnus) in
My resume is on the Web at
Keep in mind that this is a different kind of resume that is meant for
primarily internal use at UT Austin.
For proposals, one is limited to one or two pages for one's resume.
Last updated 02/08/13.
Mail comments about this page to