The Oxshott Pottery was founded in May 1920 when Denise and Henry Wren built Potters Croft, Oakshade Road, Oxshott, Surry as their home and workshop. Denise had previously been an independent potter and member of the Knox Guild since 1912 after studying Design under Archibald Knox at Kinsgton-upon-Thames School of Art. They were pioneer artist craftsmen: as well as making pots that were individual works of art they organized exhibitions and short courses. Their books "Handcraft Pottery" (Pittmans, 1928) and "Fingerbuilt Pottery" (Pittmans, 1932) with many lectures and articles, laid the ground work for the acceptance of pottery as a subject of real worth in schools.
Oxshott had changed greatly by 1978, so they Rosemary and Peter took The Oxshott Pottery first to Devon - Easterbrook Farm, near Spreyton - and then to Mill Cottage, Lustleigh - and eventually in 1990 to the Scottish Highlands. Gaelic culture has proved as inspiring as the splendour of the mountains.