Home page: Yale N. Patt
(or, at least a weak attempt at a home page. I did succumb some time ago
to the insistence that I must have a home page. However, I do not seem to
be able to find time to first learn and then do what needs to be done to
make it an impressive homepage.)
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Ernest Cockrell, Jr. Centennial Chair in Engineering, and
University Distinguished Teaching Professor,
The University of Texas at Austin
Actually, I do have another picture,
taken in a museum in Cyprus in June, 1995 by Greg Egan, professor at
Monash University, ...and one
at HPCA-12 in Austin, February, 2006.
Also, Haydn's interpretation of me at a UT
Halloween, 2003 costume party.
My curriculum vita in .pdf is available here,
...and a much shorter bio there.
A message from me regarding EE460N and covid19.
Some relevant links:
For graduate students thinking about doing research in computer architecture
with me, you might want to read this.
- Current UT Computer Architecture seminar schedule.
- HPS: My research group.
- My Ten Commandments for good teaching.
- My PhD students graduated.
- The video clip from the Benjamin Franklin Medals Award Ceremony, April, 2016.
- The video clip of the surprise visit to my class on April 5 to announce that I was the recipient of the 2017 Friars Centennial Teaching Fellowship, the highest teaching award at The University of Texas at Austin, and the first Engineering professor to win the award in more than 20 years.
- The videos and slides of talks (including the panel at the end of the
first day, and the roast at the end of the second day at
Yale:80-in-2019, a workshop
held at UPC in Barcelona on July 1,2, 2019 in honor of my 80th birthday.
- The videos of all talks at Yale@75, a workshop, "Visions for the Future," at UT on September 19, 2014,
as a mid-career celebration of my work, on the occasion of my 75th birthday.
- My views on the importance of English to your education (or, at least being able to write).
- My thoughts on a number of topics, expressed in an
conducted by two students as part of their EE 302 project during the fall
- A more recent interview at the University of Brasilia
for undergraduate computer science and engineering students considering
going to graduate school (August, 2010).
- A video produced by the IEEE Computer Society, based on an even more
recent interview, on the occasion
of my receiving the 2013 IEEE Harry Goode Award.
- A video of an even still more recent interview, this one lasting almost
2 hours, part of which was published in Communications of the ACM,
The interview is in three parts: Part 1 Formative Years, Part 2
Career Path, and Part 3 Views and Opinions.
- The Daily Texan article about me, published on May 5, 2016.
- Videos and Slides of some talks I have given.
- My views on the
course in computing for all engineering students.
- The 3rd edition of the textbook
to Computing Systems: From Bits and Gates to C and Beyond.
that I wrote with Professor Sanjay Jeram Patel of Illinois. The book is
intended as an introduction to computing for serious students of computing,
including those in computer science, computer engineering, electrical
engineering, or any other branch of engineering that involves systems
that are controlled by an embedded computer. It is an outgrowth
of EECS 100, the freshman course that Kevin Compton and I developed at the
University of Michigan before I came to Texas, and was the prototype for the
freshman sequence ECE 306/312 at Texas. The 3rd edition was published in
I taught EE460N Fall semester, 2020, and will be
teaching it again in Spring, 2021.
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2019, and EE382N.19 the graduate course in Microarchitecture, Spring semester, 2020.
I taught EE460N Fall semester, 2018 and again Spring semester, 2019.
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2017, and
EE382N.19 the graduate course in Microarchitecture, Spring semester, 2018.
I taught EE460N/382N.1 Fall semester, 2016, and
EE460N/382N.1 Spring semester, 2017.
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2015, and
EE382N.19 Spring semester, 2016.
I taught EE460N/382N.1 Fall semester, 2014, and
EE460N/382N.1 again Spring semester, 2015.
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2013 and
EE382N Spring semester, 2014.
I taught EE460N/382N.1 Spring semester, 2013.
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2011 and
EE382N Spring semester, 2012.
I taught EE460N Spring semester, 2011. [Note: 460N is what was formerly 360N.]
I taught EE306 Fall semester, 2009, and
EE 382N Spring semester, 2010.
I taught EE 306 Fall semester, 2008, and
EE 360N, Spring semester, 2009.
I taught EE 382N Spring semester, 2008.
I taught EE 306 Fall semester, 2006, and
EE 360N Spring semester, 2007.
I taught EE 360N Fall semester, 2005, and
EE 382N Spring semester, 2006.
I taught EE 306 and EE 360N Fall semester, 2004.
I taught EE 360N Fall semester, 2003, and
EE 382N Spring semester, 2004.
I taught EE 306 Fall semester, 2002, and
EE 360N Spring semester, 2003.
I taught EE 360N Fall semester, 2001, and
EE 382N Spring semester, 2002.
I taught EE 379K (aka 306) Fall semester, 2000,
EE 360N Spring semester, 2001.
I taught EE 360N Fall semester, 1999, and
EE 382N Spring semester, 2000.
Three ways to get ahold of me: office (EER 5.802), email (mylastname at ece.utexas.edu), or telephone (512-471-4085).
Use the way most comfortable for you.