Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering
Engineering Education and Research Center EER 7.872
The University of Texas
Austin, TX 78712-1084
Tel: (512) 471-5879
Tips/Messages for Students and
- University of Texas Faculty Research Assignment, Fall 2017.
- Franco Cerrina Memorial Best Student Paper Award, SPIE International Symposium on Advanced Lithography Conference, San Jose, CA, February 21-25, 2016, "Triple/Quadruple Patterning Layout Decomposition via Novel Linear Programming and Iterative Rounding," (with Yibo Lin, Xiaoqing Xu, Bei Yu, and David Z. Pan.)
- IEEE Power and Energy Society Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award, 2015.
- Director, Center for Electric Vehicles: Transportation and Electricity Convergence, 2011-2016.
- University of Texas Faculty Research Assignment, Fall 2009.
Fellow of the IEEE, 2007.
- IEEE Power Engineering Society, Power System
Analysis, Computing, and Economics Technical Committee Prize Paper Award, 2006
(with Richard P. O'Neill, Udi Helman, Michael H. Rothkopf, and William
Best Presentation in Energy Sponsored Sessions Award, INFORMS conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October 2003 (with Stathis
Tompaidis and Sergey Kolos).
Leland Barclay Fellowship in Engineering, 2003-2012,
Engineering Foundation Faculty Award, University of Texas at Austin,
- "Optimizing Demand-side Participation of Chemical Process," Department of Energy, 2016-2019.
- "Lessons Learned from Decades of Attacks against Critical Interdependent Infrastructures," National Science Foundation, 2016-2018.
- "Understanding Dynamic Interactions post-WMD attack in Interdependent Neworks," Defense Threat Reduction Agency, 2014-2019.
- "Representation of post-contingency states in dispatch optimization,"
National Science Foundation" National Science Foundation, 2014-2018.
- "Electric Vehicles: Transportation and Electricity Convergence," National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center, 2011-2016.
- "Principles based modeling of costs of integrating intermittent renewable generation," National Science Foundation, 2011-2014.
- "Defending Interdependent Infrastructure Systems," Defense Threat Reduction Agency, 2010-2017.
- "IGERT: Sustainable Grid Integration of Distributed and Renewable Resources," National Science Foundation, 2010-2015.
- "Collaboration between The University of Texas at Austin and ERCOT," Electric Reliability Council of Texas, 2010-2012.
- "Techno-economic modeling of integration
of 20% Wind and large-scale energy storage in ERCOT grid by 2030,"
Department of Energy, 2010-2012.
- "PHEVs as Dynamically Configurable
Dispersed Energy Storage," Power Systems Engineering Research Center, July 2009–August 2011.
- "Transocean Power Plant Analysis and
Modeling Initiative," Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling, Inc., September 2008–August 2009.
"Tools for Assessment of Transmission-Constrained Market
Power in Electricity Markets," National Science Foundation, 2008-2010.
"Tools for Assessment of Bidding into Electricity
Auctions," Power Systems Engineering Research Center, 2006-2008.
"Reducing the Vulnerability of Electric Power Grids to Terrorist
Attacks," Department of Energy, 2005-2007.
"Transmission Constrained Supply Function Equilibrium Analysis of Electric Power
Markets," National Science Foundation, 2004-2006.
"Analysis and Simulation of Strategic Behavior and Price
Processes in Transmission Constrained Electricity Markets," National Science Foundation, 2000-2002.
National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award, 1994,
National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1993.
Analysis of restructured
electricity markets, market power, electric transmission, electric vehicles, and integration of renewable generation. See Screening Curve Method
Offer tools for electricity markets (with Steven
Puller of Texas A&M University) See: Offer
Electricity system analysis, operations, and planning,
Vulnerability of electric grids to terrorist attack
(with Javier Salmeron and Kevin Wood of the Naval Postgraduate School)
- Applied Optimization: Formulation and Algorithms
for Engineering Systems, Cambridge University Press
2006. This book is the text for the class "Optimization of
Engineering Systems," described below.
- For a description of the features of the
book, from a presentation at the INFORMS 2006 Annual Meeting, see presentation.
Course slides based on the book can be
downloaded from: Three
Introductory Chapters Linear
- Download errata to the book and to the homework exercises.
- See the Cambridge
University Press Catalog for ordering information, further details, and
downloadable additional materials, including over 500 pages of solutions
to homework exercises available to instructors.
Teaching Plans and Course Web Pages
- Mansoureh Peydaayesh: plug-in hybrid vehicle integration,
- Mike Legatt: visualization tools, electric vehicles, demand response, and distributed renewables,
- Sambuddha Chakrabarti: AC optimal power flow and lookahead dispatch,
- Joo Hyun Jin: wind forecast error uncertainty,
- Tong Zhang: screening curve techniques,
- Mohammad Majidi: optimal transmission expansion planning,
- Hunyoung Shin: microgrid system optimization,
- Bowen Hua: analysis of interdiction,
- Manuel Garcia: interdependent infrastructures and state estimation,
- Bing Huang: interdependent infrastructures.
Links to job opportunities in the electric
Other Interesting Links
[ Papers |
Ross Baldick | ECE Homepage | U.T.